Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Fairness

I have the same arguement with people all the time about fairness. I will point out that some thing isn't fair and the person i'm speaking to will inevitably reply with the phrase, "life is not fair". Do you have any idea how sick and tired I am of hearing that?
When did I step through the doorway to another dimension where fairness wasn't something we all strived for? I understand that the economy and whatnot has a lot of people beaten down but does that mean we are all to graciously accept getting screwed over and taken advantage of? When did that become the accepted norm? I am a realist, BUT, just because it happens a lot does not mean that I will embrace unfairness as the new norm. I will continue to boldly stand up for myself no matter what anyone else thinks. I will continue to insist that I be treated fairly. That is not a lofty ideal to have. It should be right next to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. And fairness.
I'm tired of being scoffed at like I'm some wide-eyed, naive little kid for thinking that things should be fair. I understand and accept that fairness cannot always be achieved but that should be the exception, not the rule.
If we are all not to strive for treating and being treated fairly, why is this one of the first traits our parents teach us when we're little? It's fair to give each kid a turn on the slide. It's fair to give each child at your birthday party the exact same items in their goodie bags. It's fair to give all your children the same amount of love and attention. We are told from the start to play fair. How come everybody stops playing fair when they get older? I bet your mother wouldn't approve. What would she say if she knew how unfairly you treat strangers, your customers, your own children, your spouse, your employees, your friends now that you're an adult? She'd blame herself and wonder where she went wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment